• “ With more and more employers seeking trained professionals I am glad I took the time to become a certified member of TechNova ”
    Mark Bamford, C. Tech
  • “ Having a Nationally recognized certification enables me to conduct myself professionally and with confidence in my knowledge and skill”
    Nate Dimock, C. Tech - Stantec Consulting Ltd.
  • “ Taking pride in the excellence we have achieved in our careers...and providing support to those up and coming. That’s what membership means to me ”
    Janice Kidson, C. Tech - AMEC



The article below has been reprinted from Tech-Can, the newsletter of the Canadian Council of Technicans and Technolo-gists. While the information was accurate at the time of printing, there have been many changes to national security in
the USA since then. We strongly recommend that you obtain the most current information by consulting the American
Embassy or an American Consulate in your area. As well, the US Department of Commerce offers information on its web
site that includes several documents relating to NAFTA. (NAFTA Facts document 3013 contains information pertaining to
the travel of NAFTA Professionals into the United States, and documents 3012 and 3014 also contain NAFTA employment
Search www.mac.doc.gov/nafta/menu1.htm
As well we have included guidelines regarding Criteria and Documentation. Again please bear in mind these are just
The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) facilitates the movement of goods and services between Canada,
the US and Mexico. Canadian professionals, including certified technicians and technologists, should have an easier time
gaining access to the US for employment under NAFTA, provided they follow the proper steps. The category for entry
that will probably be most relevant to technicians and technologists is that of ‘Professionals’.
Following are the general criteria that must be met, as well as a list of the supporting documentation needed to work as
a Professional under NAFTA:
You can apply for entry to the United States as a NAFTA Professional at major ports of entry, international airports, or at
airports in Canada where the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service has established a pre-clearance/pre-flight station. No visa is required, but a verbal application for entry must be made before an immigration officer.
Upon entry to the US, the NAFTA Professional will receive an arrival record (Form I-94), which can be presented to the
Social Security Administration in order to obtain a social security number.
Spouses and dependent children of NAFTA Professionals can enter the US with the Professional, or at a following date.